View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 11:26 AM   #71
Duesey
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Automotive History trivia part III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979C10
Well, lets see, I'd have to say, well, Dusenberg. The engine was a V-16, but was an aircraft engine, and Fred Dusenberg died, Dusenberg is incorporated into Auburn - Cord - Dusenberg and is eventually dissolved.l
Well, you aren't COMPLETELY incorrect. Duesenberg DID build a V16, or at least something LIKE a V16, but not under the Duesenberg name nor in 1932. The V16, or more properly, the U16 Duesenberg built was actually designed in collaboration with this little French company you might have heard of...Bugatti. The engine was designed for use in WWI planes, and was ready for production in 1916, but since it was so late in the war, only about 40 of the planned 2000 were produced in the Duesenberg plant. The engine were called King-Bugatti after the guy who helped the design out, Charles King.

http://home.uni-one.nl/bugatti/revue3/rev3-3.htm#king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
not a duesey, those were straight 8's.

I think I heard something about a Cord having a DOHC V16. I think it might have been the one with front drive (and that super thin, low, front bumper).

As for what happened to Cord, I think they went bankrupt in the recession.
Cord never did make a V16, they did make a V12 though. Also, all Cord cars were front wheel drive. Finally, Cord went out of business when the Cord Corporation collapsed, pulling Cord, Auburn, and Duesenberg down with it. The only part of the Cord Corp. that survives today is Lycoming, their engine division, which now builds airplane engines.

"Success is taking one failure after another with enthusiasm"

-Winston Churchill
Duesey is offline   Reply With Quote