View Single Post
Old 01-31-2002, 06:59 PM   #1
180sx-dude
AF Newbie

Lightbulb hi guys newbie here ... with not too newbie questions um i think

hi guys im new to this forum i was desparately needing some info and i thought i would finally sign up.
Anyhows my questions is basically this.
I own a 180sx sr20det , (with basic mods exhaust filter upgraded actuator and boost fuelling etc), and where i live there arent any mechanics which can be considered as decent.
so after 4 years and 1 tottally deformed engine , (my mechanic didnt change the oil filter it gunked up threw a rod and bent the crankshaft)
I am about to tune my car myself.

Now in this god forsaken country of mine there are like 2 mechanics which are meant to be motorsport mechanics and they basically feed off little kids by selling them cams air filters and exhausts and fuel press reg. for 4000$ for their civic. and tell them that they will get aboout 320 bhp Anyhow you get the picture....

The result is that im sick of it and am finally wanting to tune my car more i have ordered a good sized intercooler and turbo after some reasearch aswell as an external wastegate and i have the basic mods as well as apexi s-afc as i dont wish to run lean (will get injectors soon)

I have heard and seen many many mentions of 400bhp on stock internals from the basic sr20det, my problem is in my country whoever tries to tune a typical 2.0 turbo car over 240 bhp they blow it....

I have heard count less times that stock internals are good for 280 bhp only ... a head gasket will take you up to 350 if it lowes the compression adequately.

question 1: what is the max bhp / boost stock internals (standard head gastket) will handle taking into account that the car will be driven 5 times a week and driven fast on 3-4 nights of the week

question 2: what do i need to look out for ,

I plan to set up my cooler and turbo now run about 1 bar of boost and then in 2 months

get bigger injectors 550cc ? slap them on then do a tuning on a wideband 02 sensor and up the boost to 1.4 bar

taking into account that the car doesnt suffer from detonation what else do i need to look out for ??

Im sick of hearing ppl runnign 1.4 bar on stock internals and in my country 1 bar blows the engine ...

(is 1.4 bar feasible on stock with the right fuel ? and what bhp output would i see at the wheels ?)

Lastly when you guys talk about 1 bar or whatever do you talk about 1.4 bar just before the pressure enters the throttle body after the cooler or how much the turbo gives out which then suffers from inefficiencies
(i calculate it after the cooler)
thanks a lot guys sorry to drive you mad !!!! with my questions
180sx-dude is offline   Reply With Quote