View Single Post
Old 08-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
DB240SX
AF Newbie

Exclamation need desperate help with leaking gas tank

Hello. My girlfriend has a 1995 Nissan 240SX that she got about 8 months ago. About 3 weeks ago the gas tank sprung a nasty leak. My brother-in-law is ass. man. at a large Nissan dealership's body shop, so we put it on the rack, checked it out and found a crack at the front right top of the tank, RIGHT by the straps.

We replaced it with a used tank and then about six hours later that night, the new used tank sprung a leak/crack in the exact same spot. Btw, pulling a tank is about 8 hours of work: you have to drop all kinds of stuff like the exhaust system and the ENTIRE rear IRS (suspension) . Also, a new tank is about $400 (if Nissan had ANY ANYWHERE in the country) and the labor is 8 hours flat rate (that's 8 x $84 of labor), just to explain why we didn't pay someone else to fix this.

Realize that I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I believe that the problem is being caused by the 115 degree heat causing air pressure to build-up in the tank.

What I need help with is: there HAS to be a system to release pressure, such as a hose going from the tank to a vapor canister which goes into something like the intake manifold. My Mustang has a system like this. Pressure WILL build-up in gas tanks in this heat.

Does anyone know of a solenoid or system that I should be looking for that's no longer relieving pressure from the tank?

TIA!
DB240SX is offline   Reply With Quote