View Single Post
Old 12-06-2001, 07:01 AM   #41
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Re: kwextshun

Quote:
Originally posted by kheetar
What is this J-Pipe you speak of with the GTi-R turbo setup?
It's an elbow that comes off the turbine housing and connects with the downpipe. It also is where the O2 sensor screws in. The BB DET also has one.

Quote:
And also, I see that the complete SR20DET engines(from the Bluebird, for example) come with equipment not included in the turbo packages(like oil-to-water oil coolers and sodium filled valves and lower compression pistons and "oil squirters"). It seems that these items are present to make the engine run better and also to prevent overheating or other problems associated with driving an engine hard. Can this equipment be added to a U.S.-spec SR20DE?
It certainly can. If you are going to run DET levels of power, just get the DET. If you are going to build a psycho fast engine, starting with a DE makes financial sense. JWT can add the piston coolers, provide lower compression pistons, and some folks have even removed their oil coolers.

Quote:
P.S. How does one adjust the boost level? With the ECU?
The boost controller interrupts the signal to the doohickey that actuates the wastegate. By interrupting the signal, it can provide any signal it wants, thereby leaving the wastegate closed until it reaches the specified boost.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote