View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
macandal
AF Newbie

Negotiating (1st timer)

I think I have finally narrowed down my options to the Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD. The Mazda website lists this vehicle at $28,935 (MSRP), when I click to check the local inventory, my local dealer lists it at $28,155, and, finally, the TRUECar average lists it $27,376. So, knowing all this, here’s my situation:

First of all, this will be my first car. In the past, I briefly owned a used car and that was it. I owned it for about a year or two, can’t remember. It was a very old car and in the end I donated it because I didn’t want to continue paying to have it repaired. So, this will be my first NEW car. Now, I don’t plan on financing this car as I will pay it in full. Also, I’ve never negotiated with a dealer, or with anyone for that matter. Knowing this, what’s the best way to approach the buying process? Should I do all the shopping around online before I set foot on an actual lot? Since I’m paying in full (no financing) what leverage, if any, do I have. I’m talking about getting things for free or a major (or minor) price reduction?

(BTW, I am in San Francisco, CA.)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
macandal is offline   Reply With Quote