View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Goldpanner
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 97 Tracer with a severe oil leak

Well finally was able to find the time to do the work and find out the cause of the major oil leak, it was the camshaft seal, it was laying loose, the only thing keeping it there was the timing cover, it was just dangling there, you couldn't see it until you removed the bolts from the cover.
So I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft seal which was not leaking but with 285,000 miles on this car I figured why not. And I replaced the timing belt, idler tensioner and water pump, the serpentine belt and the tensioner pulley and idler pulley, both pulleys were original parts, talk about long life
I rebuilt the alternator with a kit I purchased online at the same time, the bearings were whining, new bearings, regulator, split ring, brushes, $30.00 + postage. It was easy to do on this 3G alternator.
After all said and done the car started and ran like new, really impressed with a car that most say is a throw away at 130,000 miles, well this car is at 285,000 and she runs great, I guess when you take care of it the vehicle will last.
I hope this helps others, oh and I replaced the PCV valve too. All told about $180.00 to do it all, and about $300.00 in beer Peace out
Goldpanner is offline   Reply With Quote