View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #30
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KMoney28
Re: Re: New Sub Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
2 12's with the same paramaters of one 15 with the same input power will be louder and slightly more precise than 1 15....good quality 15's such as DDaudio or RE or barahma (sp?) will have very little difference in sound quality betwen 12's and 15's....where as mainstream woofers such as audiobahn will actually sacrifice motor sencitivity for power handleing which, in most cases, causes a 15 to sound sort of muddy compared to a 12 of the same line...in theory a 15 should be more sensitive @1wx1m than 1 12 with the same motor and suspension design because there is more surface area for the woofer to push with the very little power previded....but mainstream companies, for some reason, think that if they make a 12 with an 88dB sensitivity @1wx1m and can handle 400w RMS then the 15 of that same line should be able to handle more...like say 500w RMS...but in order to do this they must sacrifice sensitivity....and sicne a 15 is already more sensitive than a 12 then they can afford that and have the 15 have an 88dB sensitivity also and make it sound like the 15 is better all around...when in actuality the 15 may be muddy...go to DDaudio.com and look at any one of their woofers...a 10" woofer will have the same power handleing as a 15 but the 15 will be more sensitive...why? because the 15 has more surface to push wit hthe same motor and suspension...i have seen SQ set ups with a single 15....ive heard of SQ setups with a single 18....ive seen SPL set ups with 8's....basicly the more power, cone area, and sensitivity you have the louder your speaker will be...and 15's are fine for music...18's are fine for music....its not the sizeof a woofer its the company who makes it that determines whether or not a woofer is responsive enough for everday music listening....
So, your advice is to go with 2 12's? SR said that one 15 would be a better setup. Since both sizes have the same rms and what not, is it at this point that the size/design of the box and port kick in? If I'm not mistaken, SR said I'd be better with the 15 because I'd have the proper cf needed for 1 15 as opposed to 2 12's. I just want the subs to hit hard and not sound like crap, seems as though I can achieve this from either 1 15" or 2 12", correct? How good/bad would 2 12's really sound with my space available? If the difference is slim to nill, then I won't be as concerned as I am now. Also, what do you guys think about 0 gauge wire?
KMoney28 is offline   Reply With Quote