View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
pm77
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Check Trans and Engine light (code P1870)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsm
I was just wondering how your tranny was holding out. I talked to a tranny guy and he said the 4l30e does not trip the check tranny light until it detects three consecutive faults. Meaning on your first and second trip the computer will chalk up the error to a possible missread. On the third consecutive trip the check tranny light will go off. So you can drive a hundred or two miles before your light comes on. Same goes for the check tranny light shutting itself off. I was quoted $5000 Canadian for a replacement tranny(before labor). If I double that I can buy myself a pretty decent used car. . the tranny guy said the P01870 was the "Mystery code" they have a list of ten possible faults that cause that code. The guy said a lot of times its just better to replace the tranny. He quoted me 1500 to 2500 to take down the tranny and find the fault. Life sucks what are you gonna do.

John

Let me know how your making out with P01870
Hi John,

Sorry for not replying earlier. Last week I took my truck to the local mechanic and there the light disappeared. He kept the truck for 2-3of days and didn’t see the light. He drove the truck and didn’t feel any slippage etc. He said he can put tranny for 1200 USD. But he suggested not to change tranny now since truck is running fine and there is no slippage problem. He said if the light show again, I should ignore it until I feel any slippage. Currently gears are shifting smoothly.

Anyway this morning light came back. I don’t feel any performance problem so I am planning to drive for a while without getting transmission change. Will see how it goes.

Thanks,
Puneet
pm77 is offline   Reply With Quote