View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
drkPu1se
AF Newbie

1999 Eclipse sounds like a popcorn machine

Hi all!

I just bought a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 4 cyl 2.0L. I don't know what got me to buy it but I don't want to get rid of it. It is all sorts of trashy but now that I have it, might as well make into a nice project car right?

Well here's what I have as an issue right now... it misfires and stutters when accelerating. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts and got codes that say cylinders 2 and 3 are misfiring. I replaced the spark plugs with Autolites temporarily to see if that was the problem. I got a lot more power but it still misfires. I also found out that the previous owner was using a lower octane fuel to fill it up so I completely emptied out the gas tank and filled it up with premium fuel. Again runs even better but still sounds like a little popcorn machine. I bought some spark wires but haven't installed them yet due to the weather. I hate the snow. Another reason I haven't installed them yet is because one of the guys at Advanced Auto said that there could be a potential issue with the carburetor? That didn't sound at all right but what do I know. I am not exactly car smart at all. This is my second car, my previous one smashed to smithereens by some old woman. Anyways... opinions anyone?

I'm also using this forum as a 'gateway' to learn more about automotives. It's perfect for it seeing that there is noticeable electrical and possible engine issues. I got the car dirt cheap so why not right?

Anyways, Thanks in advance!!
drkPu1se is offline   Reply With Quote