View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #67
mmcleo11
AF Regular

Re: Build your own car from SCRATCH?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenerd
Sounds fun, but short ratios are a bad idea on a light, high-powered car with a manual transmission, for the most part. You'd never be able to switch the gears fast enough to take advantage of them. Taking the "human factor" into account, you might actually be able to go faster by skipping a gear or two! This is why seven-speed racecars use paddle shifters.
The QR25DE actually has very widely spaced gear ratios for a 6 speed. There are quite a few people using this gearbox on VQ35DE engine conversions in their B15 Sentras on the B15 sentra forum.

My own donor vehicle, the Autobacs Garaiya uses a 6 speed manual gearbox from the factory. The HKS built Garaiya track car laps the Japanese Tsukuba circuit less than 3 seconds behind the mega power GTR Skylines. The 6 speed means that you can select an appropriate gear to power out of a corner without provoking wheelspin from too low a gear or understeering from lack of power once hitting the apex from too high a gear...

Just an update for my own project...
I ordered a GT42R turbo rated at 800Hp to be used on my sr20vet motor. With weight being dropped to under 600Kgs at the drag strip, it should be VERY entertaining. Street driven, the car should be around 800Kg which will be crazy with the amount of power I aim to extract...

Smashed Black VY SS Ute
The workhorse...
Twin turbo 5.7L LS1
Boyd Coddington 19" Turbine Wheels
AP Racing 4 Piston Brakes
Tein Coil over Suspension
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
PLX Devices DM-200 OBDII
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
mmcleo11 is offline   Reply With Quote