View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
keeneydj
AF Newbie

Re: Car runs fine, but speedo is WAY wrong.

Okie dokie...

well, I have had no change on the speedo, but I did get the ecm codes flashed (read). The SES light was on for code 62. Supposedly an electrcal fault in the transaxle gear range sensor. (neutral/safety switch) The SES light will start off, but come on a few seconds (about 15) later just idling. If you shift the car right after starting it, the light will come on. So, code 62 sounds about right for the light. Still doesn't pertain to the speedo though. And, the tranny shifts just fine. You can start it in park only like you are supposed to be able to. You can't start the car in neutral though. I don't remember if I could before or not.

I did notice that the timing chain cover was arcing to the crank pulley. Yeh, arcing. ...little spark about every second. It doesn't do this all the time, and seems so far to be completely random. Warm, cold, starting/stopping the motor, no changes seem to make it start or stop. Sometimes it's doing it, sometimes it's not, and nothing else in the car seems to change or act odd when this starts/stops. I checked wires and didn't see any bare/disconnected. This is just another thing that blows my mind. It's not arcing with the ignotion coils, or it would do it a lot more often and faster. ??? got me on that one. Nothing has blown up, and everything seems to work. The car runs great, and everything works like it supposed to, other than the speedo. ...and I guess this arcing.

I mean, it's not like I'm a complete idiot working on something I shouldn't be. I rebuilt this car once before. It ran as intended for 4k miles before we realized the block had a crack in it. I know how these things come apart, what all there is (sensors ect.) on the car. I know the general jist of why they are all there, and what they do. I'm a 3rd generation mechanic that's been in a shop most of my life. I mean, cars are getting more and more complex, but all the major components are there and working as far as I can tell. The ECM is only complaining about the gear selector switch. No other codes.

So, the VSS will run me $45, and the gear switch is $60, both "special order" from my parts shops. I haven't been able to track down a DOHC program chip for a '92 achieva yet. (anybody have an AUKX or AUKW chip?) I'm fairly certain replacing the gear switch will take care of the ECM code, but I'm not sure if that could be what is throwing off the speedo. I'm starting to lean towards the dash cluster being bad. As far as the TC cover arcing to the crank pulley... I'm completely stumped there. No ideas on that one at all. Boo. :P

Hey, also, sorry for misspelling your name xeroinfinity. The x and z are real close there, and I didn't even think about it. Also, thank you for your time, you have been very prompt about replies. I'm very gracious.

-Dan
keeneydj is offline   Reply With Quote