View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
ASJT3
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ASJT3
Re: Transmission swap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
Excellent point. That coincides with the overall change in the actuation scheme of the TCC in 1995, from a straight solenoid valve and hydraulic cushioning to a PWM valve electrically/hydraulically cushioning the application of the TCC.

Regarding torque converters, if the transmission has suffered damage the chance of residual contamination contained within the TC is higher. Installing a TC from a damaged trans onto a rebuilt or "good" trans risks putting all the metal, friction material, and debris into the good trans. If the donor transmission was operating correctly and the TC is compatible, it might be best to install the used trans with its original (donor vehicle) TC. If the TC is not compatible with the vehicle getting the replacement trans, a new or remanufactured converter is really not that costly, and might be cheap insurance against early failure. Your local Chevy store can probably get you a NEW/reman TC with a guaranty for as little as $200. Local trans shops can probably do as well or better.

If you MUST use the old converter, spend a few extra dollars in trans oil to fill, flush, dump (lather-rinse-repeat) the old converter to clear out as much contamination as possible before installing it on the new/replacement trans.
Thanks for all the pointers fellas. Bowtie, I considered rebuilding and have watched several videos on the subject. However, the time investment is a little more than I want to get into right now, plus I'd have to clear space in my parent's garage which will probably be like opening a can of worms.

If I had the time and space I would love to tackle that job, but I think that right now going with a used assembled trans will be the quicker route (assuming the one I pull from the junkyard is not torched also).