View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
inewton55
AF Newbie

Re: Blown head gasket in 99 Outback?

btw, I've pulled the thermostat and checked it in boiling water, it opens and closes fine. I've disconnected the heater core hoses and flushed them out. I did a compression check and 1, 3, and 4 were at 200 psi after 7 good cranks while number 2 was at 188. While that one is lower than the others, it is not enough to convince me there is a problem with that particular one.......yet.
I did a combustion leak check (blue dye) and have only been able to get it to turn pale green/yellow once out of about 5 times.
It still overheats, but not badly, within about 5 miles. The wierd thing is that the gage will climb, then fall back down, rise again, fall back again. If I get back home and it's up, then by the time I get the hood open and slowly release the cap (to do a combustion leak test while it's "hot") the temp has come back down again.
I'm pretty sure it's a blown head gasket, but it must be a small one that only blows well under a good head of pressure (load). I just want to make damn sure before I tell my Mother to spend $1500 or think about getting rid of it.
Is there ANY way trapped air (in the head) can be doing this?
inewton55 is offline   Reply With Quote