View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 01:16 AM   #19
RonNW
AF Newbie

Smile Re: How high of mileage is considered worrisome for Tacomas?

I bought my 1995 Tacoma 4wd extra cab, 2.7 L, 16 valve OHC , 5 speed when it was 3 1/2 years old from a private party who took mint care of it ... after owning it now for 16+ years, and receiving hundreds of compliments on it, and as many "would you be interested in selling this truck ?" inquiries, I can say this is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned in my 50 years of driving. It now has 204,000 trouble-free, reliable miles on it. I have used Valvoline Full Synthetic oil and Synthetic lubricants, Fram or Purolator oil filters, NGK Platinum plugs, Japanese ignition parts, Japanese or US Made belts and hoses, Toyota anti-freeze and thermostats, do most of my own maintenance work.
Engine always passes State emission tests with flying colors, I can still get as high as 28 mpg on long highway trips, winter driving here in the NW is no problem due to the easy starts with Synthetic lubricants, the 4wd has been bulletproof ... clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing replaced at 170,000 miles, starter at 155,000 miles. Original brakes went 110,000 and the calipers were replaced at 162,000. Check light came on at 201k, and small $90 electronic device right side of engine was replaced, no problem now. I have used Chevron gasoline and Chemtool B12 gas tank additive my entire length of ownership...also I use the Chevron car wash 2 to 4 times per month and always get the wash/ wax / clean undercarriage option. I add 2 ounces of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant in the gas tank once per month ( I buy it in 32 oz size at WalMart ..best deal). Change my oil and filter every 5,000 -5,500 miles and add 1 can of Restore at that time. My friend in Minnesota has a 600k + Tacoma just like mine that he purchased new, and has followed nearly identical maintenance (he uses Mobil 1 and Purolator and several different brands of gasoline) as mine but at longer intervals. Both our trucks have near 90% highway miles, we consolidate errands, and keep them in our garages every day. These trucks are an incredible value. By NOT making truck payments for all those years, I saved a lot of money, paid off my home way early, invested in good companies, and do major international travel every year, and major road trips often. Life is good
RonNW is offline   Reply With Quote