View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: start of newbie info thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintBallerCali
Here is my little add to this little about wire gages and stuff.

Rules of the thumb for Amps.

The shorter your wires the better.
Run the power straight of the batter most stock wire can not just be taped into for power they do not have the power handling and you will burn wires. (These are not fun to replace).
The ground wire can be attached to any metal surface and the shorter the better. (I use ring terminals and a bolt that’s already there just make sure you sand the paint off.)
If you do not clean off all the paint the amp may still ground but the amp will be getting more power in than it can send out kind of like a filling up a water balloon if it has a whole in it you can run water in and out all day but if there is no whole you can over fill it tell it pops.

ELECTRICITY DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT, WHAT GOES IN MUST COME OUT. IF THE OUT PART - THE GROUND WIRE - HAS POOR CONNECTION TO THE CHASSIS, IT WILL LIMIT THE TOTAL POWER. IT CAUSES A VOLTAGE DROP, WHICH CAUSES AN INCREASE IN CURRENT DEMAND TO KEEP THE POWER UP. SOONER OR LATER, THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROVIDE MORE CURRENT.

Here is a reference for the gage of wire you will need for proper power handling.
The longer the cable the heavier gage is needed.

Power/Ground Wires
35W
Up to 12’ 16 Gage
Up to 18’ 14 Gage
Up to 30’ 12 Gage
50W
Up to 13’ 14 Gage
Up to 21’ 12 Gage
Up to 33’ 10 Gage
75W
Up to 14’ 12 Gage
Up to 22’ 10 Gage
Up to 35’ 8 Gage
100W
Up to 17’ 10 Gage
Up to 26’ 8 Gage
150W
Up to 17’ 8 Gage
Up to 28’ 6 Gage
200W
Up to 21’ 6 Gage
Up to 33’ 4 Gage
350W
Up to 19’ 4 Gage
Up to 30’ 2 Gage
500W
Up to 21’ 2 Gage
Up to 26’ 1/0 Gage

THERE ARE PLENTY OF CHARTS AVAILABLE FOR THIS

Now you can’t really over do wires but you can blow your budget on wires alone.

Do not mount amps on the speaker box mount them some where else solid vibrations are car electronics enemy number two number one is an uninformed installer.

THIS IS AN OLD WIVES TALE, THE BOX WILL VIBRATE JUST AS MUCH AS AND OTHER PART ON THE CAR IF IT'S BUILT SOLID.

Also heat is not good for electronics. So place your amps in a well ventilated area.

When it comes to speaker wires don’t go with any thing less that 14 Gage (I like 12) 14 gage is ezer to find can be picked up at like Wal-Mart.

Here is a table for Minimum Speaker Wire Gages

Up to 12’ Minimum Gage is 16.
Up to 20’ Minimum Gage is 14.
Up to 30’ Minimum Gage is 12.

I will not bore you with ohm law and go in to wiring configurations just email me if you need any help with that and I can give you the most power efficient way to wire your speakers. You can cut the load down by wiring speakers right and make your system run better.

When it comes to RCA cables RCA cables are RCA cables if you want to get the best sound go with gold or platinum plated ends any thing else they put on the box is just a sells gimmick like sound canceling intertwined wire wrapping they like to make fancy stuff up so that you will by there product over some one else’s.

THE "INTERTWINED" WIRES, COMMONLY KNOWN AS UTP OR UNSHIELDED TWISTED PAIR ARE THE ONLY RCAS THAT REJECT NOISE IN THE AUDIO FREUENCY BAND. USING INTERCONNECTS WITH A DIFFERENT METAL ON THE TIPS THAN THE AMPS FEMALE RCA CONNECTION CAN CAUSE CORROSION.

And it is always best to solder on your terminals over time crimped terminals corrode and you lose some power handling the more power you have going threw the wire the faster it corrodes solder resists corrosion.

A PROPERLY CRIMPED WIRE IS IN FACT A COLD SOLDER JOINT

If I missed anything important let me know if I said something stupid let me know if you have any questions let me know. I have installed countless stereo systems and have built custom boxes from a carpeted box for a 1988 Delta 88 with 4 12’s to a spray on dyno matted ford ranger box with 4 12’s (spray on dyno mat is stupid waste of money). I even work with fiber glass just asks me if you have any questions.

SPRAY IS NOT AS GOOD AS BUTYL MAT, BUT BETTER THAN NOTHING IF YOU CAN'T GET THE MAT ON IT VERY WELL.
You're misspelling and poor grammar make some of this post very difficult to follow
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote