View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
southtowniceman
AF Newbie

Re: '96 Tacoma question

Well, I looked for the idle air controller and throttle position sensor and I'm not sure I have the right items located. On the bottom of the throttle body is a small unit attached with 4 phillips head screws, to which a hose from the dash pot goes, along with a couple of small coolant hoses. On the back side of it is a white plastic unit with an electrical plug attached. Is this the throttle position sensor and idle air controller? I couldn't remove anything for lack of room, so I removed the throttle body off the manifold. Naturally the gasket ripped. Anyway, once I found coolant was in a couple of those hoses, I decided to stop, and find out if I was looking at the right parts. I tried my best to hook up an ohm meter to what I thought was the sensor, but the best I got was 45 ohms. No change in ohm reading by moving the throttle. Did I locate the right units??? I did spray some more cleaner around the throttle body while it was off. Once everything was back together, I restarted the engine. Now the idle is up to 2000 rpm when first started, then drops back to 1000 after everything warms up. Plus the check engine light came on. I disconnected the battery for a while to get the light to go off.
PLEASE let me know if I'm working on the right parts? Thanks
Tom
southtowniceman is offline   Reply With Quote