View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
Calabs
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Buick Riviera Starting Problem - Urgent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppppaul
I had the same problem with my riv at 96k. It took me $1000 to find out that it needed a steering column wire harness. There are about 6 different contacts at the ignition switch (one of which turns on the actual coil system to fire the sparkplugs) and the contact had built up ark deposits that would not allow current to flow thru it. All the other 5 contacts were fine, but the one that turns on the spark was not. So the engine would crank, fire the injectors but would not start. I put a new GM harness(which has the switch right on it) for the tune of $150. It would be possible to clean the contact off and probably go another 96k, but I just put a new one on it.
Hello,
Thank you for the information. I am having the same problem as
John Cook. Have done practically all of the same things he has done. I am going to try this. In fact, this problem did not start until a mechanic repaired my car when it did would not shift out of reverse. I have been having this problem for two years. I cannot not see this as being the fuel pump as the car starts the first time and then after I get to whereever I am going, it will not start up and I have to keep trying until it starts. Your solution seems to be the best I have heard, especially since the problem begin after the repair of the reverse shift problem two years ago.
Calabs is offline   Reply With Quote