View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
2Devious
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Carputer Install (IMAGE INTENSIVE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linebckr49
i'm curious, have you ever done a conversion/installation like this on any other car(s) before?

also, my only criticism (constructive of course) is that your computer has no casing for protection. granted the spare tire is held down and secure by the screw-type metal fastener, but i personally would be a little worried about the computer parts getting bumped/jostled if the car was tapped or if i took it fast around a turn. however, i'm sure this car is for show and not drag racing/autocross.

overall, an incredibly ridiculously good-looking piece of work!
First, thanks for the compliment.
I have done a few installations. Stereos, speakers, subs, amps, caps. Nothing too major as far as fabrication goes, never built anything too crazy. I usually have boxes and stuff built by people that get paid to do it.
This is the first time I have ever taken a project this size on..especially by myself. First time I have ever installed a monitor, USB DVD-ROM or a PC before.

As far as the component security goes...
The piece of MDF that the motherboard is securely screwed to is screwed into the trunk floor....where the stock plastic box screws into. The PC power supply, the soundcard, and the drive bay are all securely screwed to the piece of MDF. The motherboard is fastened to the MDF at 10 points, the same that it would be fastened to in a PC case. There is nothing back there that is "loose" to bump into the components. The wire bundles are also secured to the floor, and the spare is as tight as it will go by hand w/ a drop of loctite. I have already taken a few tight corners pretty hard just to see what would happen.....not a skip in the music and a hard disk scan showed no corrupt sectors. I'm quite confident it's all secure.
Ralliart Filter | Bomz Intake Body | 3SX Lightened Crank Pulley | 3SX Polished Spark Plug Cover | Blue silicone hoses | Polished plenum | Painted / detailed valve cover | De Corsa Fusion Black 18x8.5 wheels | White/Blue Glow gauge faces |Pioneer DEH-P770MP Head Unit | Lilliput 7" motorized touchscreen | Audiobahn 6x9s | Audiobahn 5.25s | Audiobahn ATB10AT Sub | Stinger Digital 1.2 Farad Cap | AMD XP 2100+ CPU | 1G Ram | 60G HD | SBLive! | Nvidia GeForce
2Devious is offline   Reply With Quote