View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
dazzlingfem
AF Newbie

Question Mechanical choices.....

So, I got rather hosed due to inexperience on buying used vehicles.. I thought I covered my bases, but apparently I skipped a couple. I did my research, but obviously not enough until it was too late. I know this is the worst engine in history, and I'm tired of being told "it's junk, get rid of it." I'm stuck with it, and I like the car. I'm trying to look at the bright side, and willing to fix it up.

It's a 2003 Sebring Convertible, with the dreaded 2.7L engine and 165K miles. I don't believe it's been properly maintained and I'm almost positive it has crap oil in it. There is something wrong with either the lifters, the fuel injectors, needs a timing chain kit, possible valve issues or even the oil pump. (It's a rhythmic tick that doesn't happen until it's warmed up but can be intermittent at times. Didn't happen until the minute I drove off the lot and filled it with gas. Liquid band-aid? or bad gas?) The engine still has good HP as well.. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it gone through more thoroughly, and get an oil change, but I want to make sure I'm not going to be talked into spending unnecessary money .. Christmas time ..always seems to bring out the worst in some people.

So my question is: Would it make more sense in the long run to replace the engine that is likely sludge-infested from lack of maintenance and long sitting periods, as well as repair whatever else is worn? Or would it be OK to just repair the other parts that are worn and let the engine live out it's life? Or would it be too hard on the newer parts? I'm a single mom/student working 2 jobs to get by, I really need this car to last me just a couple years, but would love longer since I know it's going to cost quite a bit either way. It's in awesome condition as far as body. I hope to keep it as a summer 'to the beach' car when I am able to afford a different vehicle. . .

Please, positive, helpful input only. Thank you
dazzlingfem is offline   Reply With Quote