View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 01:15 PM   #35
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
Like I said it all depends on whether you think there would be sales cannibalisation, which is where we’re disagreeing. You think there will be, I think it will be so small its negligible....
Volkswagen thought the sales cannibalization of of SEAT and Skoda would be minimal...and they're learning otherwise. I just can't imagine that a large number of people wouldn't want to save a couple grand (dollars, euros, etc) to get a very similar vehicle in quality, features, and character with a Lancia-badged BMW knock-off. If they're going to expand BMW's production base, they should do it with a product that's decidely different. Expanding Mini upwards is a good start with a front-wheel drive lineup. Combining Honda and BMW is another excellent idea. Perhaps absorbing one of the small Indian makers would work (as long as you don't dilute the BMW name by saying something like "Tata by BMW").

BMW still has a way to go to catch up to Mercedes-Benz on volume..and until that happens, they don't "need" another brand.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote