View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #15
PhilPrzy
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Intrepid R/T stalls when slowing down

Thanks to all those who supplied information about this stalling problem. My 2001 Intrepid R/T (117K miles) started stalling when it should have idled when slowing down the car. I tried following other advice to clean the IAC valve, but that didn't help. I went to buy a new EGR valve but couldn't. Chrysler ($190) had none and neither did the aftermarket ($145). So I tried cleaning the valve with oven cleaner by spraying it in the inlet side of the valve repeatly until only clean foam came out. also used a spray from a water hose to blast out as much crude as possible (and plenty of carbon flakes came out). Also took some 12ga stranded electrical wire made into a sort of probe to scrap and scratch whatever I could from the valve (it's around an elbow so you can't see it).
Reinstalled the EGR valve with new inlet gasket and the first 10 miles it would hardly idle at all. But I could save the engine from dying by applying more throttle. Finally the valve cleared itself and the next 100 miles (so far) show the problem is solved. No more stalling. So for those that can't find a new EGR valve, try cleaning it well and you may be lucky too.
PhilPrzy is offline   Reply With Quote