View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
CL8
AF Enthusiast

Re: what else is brake fluid called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
I would suggest editing your page a bit. You can change 'brake fluid' to 'the fluid' a couple of times, until the page is deemed acceptable.

There are a couple of technical issues there, though. "Brake fade" also often refers to the loss of braking effect due to overheated rotors or drums, and pads or shoes. This is caused by the brakes being used more than their capacity to shed heat.
Good info, can this happen without the fluid boiling?
Quote:

Such overheated material loses its ability to absorb additional energy so the brakes lose effectiveness. Furthermore, such excessive heating can crack or warp rotors and drums and glaze or degrade pads and shoes, thus permanently reducing their effectiveness, until they are changed.
I read that the rotors don't actually warp, but rather it is debris from the pads getting on them that make them feel "warped"
Quote:

Brake fade is a common factor in some kinds of auto racing. However, it is most often encountered when trailer towing or driving in mountainous terrain without taking sufficient precautions to reduce over-use of brakes, such as downshifting the transmissions on steep hills, etc. Older cars with drum brakes on all wheels are also more susceptible to brake fade.

Another point to mention is DOT 5 brake fluid will not absorb moisture and is a good alternative for vehicles which are not driven often. However, the entire braking system must be drained and flushed (with alcohol, I think) before DOT 5 fluid is installed.

If these comments are useful, feel free to use them in your site.
Thanks for all the info Magicrat, when I make a page on braking techniques I will remember this info ( i was hoping to get some critique of my text)

if it's not against forum policy, I'll post my web adress so you can view it.

(I did find other ways to talk about "brake Fluid", using "brake line" and "braking system")

www.drivingtips.org/brakefluid.html
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;
and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:9-10
CL8 is offline   Reply With Quote