View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 10:45 AM   #55
PhantomDesign
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to PhantomDesign Send a message via MSN to PhantomDesign
Fine, I’ll respond to the 8 points:
  • Do you have any sort of knowledge about design?
  • I’ve done extensive research of what others know and research into the undiscovered. There are many areas of design to have knowledge of. Be more specific.
  • …lack of sketching…
  • I sketch quite often. I just don’t feel the need to show my sketches. I focus primarily on the final product. I think it is vastly more important that I can produce than all of the detail how I got there. There are certain cases in which knowledge of certain aspects of my design process would be important, but my design process varies greatly depending on the type of “job” I’m working on. I’ll use very different design processes if I’m designing for a specific car company than if I’m making something any car company can adopt into their product line. Also, if I’m designing for a corporation, the focus is a large audience while I have very solid techniques for designing a car specifically for an individual. To limit the ways I go about my design process would restrict my creativity and capability, and the ability to grow and improvise. On a side note, most sketches I do are intended to record ideas for me, and therefore aren’t very artistic. I can do artistic sketches, but usually it’s a waste of my time if I’m not designing for a specific client I’m communicating with.
  • How have you come to the conclusion that the world actually needs a another super-car clone on the roads?
  • I wouldn’t consider it a clone. I think you should watch the video I uploaded to the internet. You’ll see that the design is more in-depth than the pictures. Perhaps one missing factor in your argument is that a super-car like exterior could easily be applied to a $25k car as it could be applied to a $200k car. If someone wants to make my inferno the next Mitsubishi Eclipse, there’d be a very cheap, extremely hot car on the road. My design is undoubtedly very hot according to the majority of [1] car fans, [2] people I meet in person, [3] and people of all sorts of varieties all over the internet. It doesn’t have to be a super-car, but I built it in a way that it could become one.
  • Have you looked at the competition?
  • Yes. Your point?
  • Some of the proportions on your cars need re-evaluating…….
  • I’m not completely sure I completely understand this critique. I got the part where the window could act as a lens, but maybe you should take one of the pictures, and draw diagrams/arrows on-top of it in some paint program.
  • Another example is that some your doors would never open properly in real life....
  • I checked all my designs, and the predator, assault, and inferno doors can open properly without intersecting the rest of the vehicle. I’ll have to take another look at the panther. About the inferno movie, I forgot to make the mirrors rotate upwards, but after something like 40 hours of rendering a clip, it wasn’t worth my time to remake that clip.
  • Designers spend hours upon hours perfecting surfaces…
  • I spent at least 2 hours on every 4-spline area; often much much longer than that.
  • For budding designers, some math skills would be useful.
  • I doubt there are many (if any) artistic designers that have higher mathematical skills than I do. I slept through my Mathematics Bachelors of Science. I don’t think this will be a problem AT ALL.
  • 3D CAD knowledge is useful…
  • I guess I already have that….
  • Any 3D model will be based upon fixed points such as positions for the occupants…(continued)
  • I give as much consideration of that as much as possible. If a client had any sort of dimensions (for example a Chevrolet Camaro mod where I couldn’t replace the windshield), I could easily build exactly around those dimensions. I’d first build the substructure, then stylize over that sub structure. If I have a substructure to work with, then I build over that. If I don’t, I try to approximate one in my head and use that. One example dimensions in the inferno is I used the dimensions from a real sports seat, and then tried to make enough leg room for someone 6’6”. I already know how this works, so if there is something specific that I missed feel free to point it out.
  • Again, could you explain what you meant by "confidentiality"....?
  • Yeah there’s this multibillion-dollar corporation that is paying me 2.8 million dollars to design your momma. I’m obviously joking, but what would be confidential if I told you? I guess I shouldn’t have mentioned it in the first place.
  • You need to work on your English
  • I usually don’t take too much time worrying about spelling and grammar, and sometimes use obvious non-grammatically correct language on purpose on more informal forums, cuzz that’s the way it is

I really don’t see the point of replying to most of that because it is general knowledge, and the questions are mostly rhetorical. If you want me to answer any more of your questions, you may consider dropping your insults. To me that list of eight looked like a ploy to validities yourself so you could continue your insults. Just like disposed villain on cardesignnews.

www.GryphonAuto.com
PhantomDesign is offline   Reply With Quote