View Single Post
Old 11-21-2004, 09:54 PM   #31
Kirium
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gordon Murray letter in Evo to Koenigsegg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bernoulli
Not always, no. They got it the right way round with the F1 (wind tunnel dictating the shape) but VW couldn't wait to show the world how exciting a company they really were and what their stylists had been working on. If you want to see just how much a car's styling can change once the CFD work has been done, try comparing the Vision SLR with the MM SLR.
I can understand that with cars like the Ford Focus and other "real world" cars, that CFD and wind tunnel work would be an after thought, but I can't imagine that with a car with such a high claimed top speed that aero would have been an afterthought. I'm sure it too has a flat undertray and front and rear diffusers and a speed-sensitive spoiler. Hard to believe that all these things would give the car such a degree of negative downforce (lift?) as to cause it to spin in a straight line.

Quote:
This I have to disagree on!
I for one can't afford an F1, and in all likelyhood, never will, and i probably speak for all but a few thousand indviduals on the planet. Variety is the spice of life. I think the F1 would be just a fraction less special if everyone on the planet had one... And who's to say that the F1 is the best way to do things? I'll say without hesitation it's the best that's been built to date, and I'm just as much a fan of the F1 as anyone else here (so don't think i'm trying to big-note the Veryon or any other car, or bring down the F1), but I'm sure things can be improved upon. We'd still be living in caves wearing loin cloths if someone hadn't decided to advance common accepted principles on what makes a good weapon... we went from a club to an axe with a cutting edge, evolution. but i'm sure whoever said the club was the be all and end all of weapon design had his fans, but someone decided it could be done differently, and that's not a bad thing. Just because Gordon says cars that don't follow his formula are crap, doesn't mean they are...

Quote:
for someone to come along and say "Oh it looks like this new car is going to have a higher number in this little box than your car. How does it feel that your car is now a pile of crap..."
I don't think anyone is suggesting that because "X" supercar comes along and posts a higher top speed, that the F1 instantly become scrap carbon fibre. And even when a car does that, I'm sure car enthusiasts won't think the F1 is junk. It doesn't faze me wether a car comes along and does that, because i'll still think the F1 is one of the best cars ever made. Like I said, I'm not trying to praise the Veyron, and I'm not trying to bring down the F1. What I was getting at originally, was that just because GM bags all these supercars because they don't follow his principles and his formula, doesn't mean that he's right, and doesn't mean they're bad cars. He was openly aggressive and attacking these cars (and i'd say he probably hasn't driven them either) just because they don't follow his formula... Which I think is incorrect.