View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #148
993cc
AF Regular

I'm sorry but in most parts of the world (USA as well) it is ILLEGAL to drive on public roads on slicks. We have to stick with ''production'' otherwise we'd be talking about full racing dragsters which are way faster than all of these cars! (I guess you could fire up a top fuel on a street light and ''be the fastest'' but you'd be arrested for that! The Sledgehammer was recorded at exactly 410 kph (254.76 mph) on shaved (slick) tyres. It was unsafe/unstable at those speeds with grooved road tyres. Hence we don't know how fast it would have gone with road tyres. The point is it might have run slower than the McLaren F1 which was clocked at 391 kph (243 mph) on normal road tyres . At those speeds every part of the car is stressed to the total extreme. We just don't know which would be faster all things being equal and production. That doesn't mean I don't admire Reeves Callaway's work! Ofcourse the exact same goes for the McLaren... and I hope you realise I don't compare the two cars on the whole so I hope no one flames me for that! Another car that might be a contender is the Dauer 962 (see earlier post) of which it's unclear under what conditions it reached the 251.46 mph (details on this feat are hard to come by on the net unlike the Sledge and F1 heroics). One car that is definitely not a contender is the Veyron which is still untested under any kind of conditions slicks or no slicks or whatever!

And the same goes for a zillion other prototypes that are never going to be tested like the ME4-12 or the 300mph Tomahawk bike (yeah right. )
993cc is offline   Reply With Quote