View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
Spaz888
AF Newbie

Post Recharging your A/C: is it necessary?

I've been reading online and I am very confused. Some say you should never recharge your A/C system if everything is operating properly. While others say adding pure 134a refrigerant/coolant will help with your cooling. My Mazda dealer says one shouldn't need to recharge the A/C either.

In particular, my 2005 Mazda3's A/C isn't quite as cool as it used to be, partly because the temperature outside these days is much warmer too. Additionally, in 2006 my A/C was checked at the dealer, discharged and new coolant with a dye was added under warranty for another issue. My understanding is that with the dye or lubricants, the A/C won't run as cool as one with pure coolant.

I'm in Canada and by law, only a licensed A/C technician can work on an A/C unit, that's why we don't have canisters and DIY A/C recharging system. In Asia, where temperature extremes are normal, people get their A/C unit serviced and flushed too at the dealer.

I am not a handy around my car and I wouldn't want to mess around with the A/C even though I can get my hands on DYI kits.

Can someone shed some clarity whether or not recharging the A/C is necessary?
Spaz888 is offline   Reply With Quote