View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
h3llfir3
AF Newbie

Re: Questions about car security

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
The typical alarm system will come with a couple of key fob remotes, the module, a relay or two, hood pin switch, shock sensor, wiring harnesses, LED, siren, installation instructions, owner's manual, and valet switch. Most will come with a siren, but some will allow you to use the car's horn with or without the siren.
Can you explain in more detail what all these parts are? and what is the best alarm system to get. is compu star pro good? i found a installer to do it for me and they recommend compu star pro and i was talking to some other guy who got it done from them and he likes it too. but i dunno. what do you think?

Quote:

Many aftermarket alarm systems will have a starter disable feature. For this you wire in a relay that, when the alarm is armed, opens the wire for the starter solenoid. This "prevents" an amateur thief from starting your car when the alarm is armed or triggered. Some remote start systems will also utilize this switch to prevent you from grinding your starter if you turn the key to the 'start' position while the vehicle is already running.
This is what I was describing right? The thing that manufacturers some times install in high end cars?

Also, do all cars come with the noise alarm from the manufacturer or some dont? because i dont think i have one, i never heard it ever go off, and my doors and stuff are all manual so i dont think i have one but im not totally sure

One more thing, how did you set up multi quotes like that?

Quote:

A kill switch would be a switch that gets wired in to the car and installed in a hidden location that ideally only you are aware of. When you leave your car, you flip the switch open and it prevents some critical circuit from being powered. This might be the fuel pump power wire, the coil primary, etc. You would need to select a circuit that does not require backup power (such as the PCM) or that is easy to defeat. You also would want to use a high quality switch with a locking 'closed' feature to prevent it from tripping while driving.

Many aftermarket alarm systems will have a starter disable feature. For this you wire in a relay that, when the alarm is armed, opens the wire for the starter solenoid. This "prevents" an amateur thief from starting your car when the alarm is armed or triggered. Some remote start systems will also utilize this switch to prevent you from grinding your starter if you turn the key to the 'start' position while the vehicle is already running.

-Rod
I just went to my manufacturer and they told me that someone can hotwire my car but can't start it if they dont have the appropriate key. I am kind of confused because on a GM forum it says that someone also cant hotwire your car either unless the appropriate key is inserted due to a chip in the key head and in the car. So I am not sure who to believe. (The manufacturer says that it CANNOT be started with a different key but it CAN be hotwired, the GM forum says that the car CANNOT be hotwired and CANNOT be started with a different key than the right one) (On the forum it wasnt my car they were describing. it was a 2007 malibu they were describing but i assume that all the key chips work the same? it says that if the wrong key is inserted, the fuel injectors wont work and if someone is trying to hotwire the car , the fuel injectors still wont work because the right key is not present) http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...bilizer-59951/

Is this also a form of a kill switch?

My dad has a honda and he told me that his car has this feature that the car wont start unless his proper key is inserted and nobody can hotwire it either because the theif does not have the proper key at all

----------------------------------

One more question :P
I know i have been asking a lot but i am anxious to learn
anyways, i kno i was talking to you about engine immobalizers and how the key plays a part in it, what i forgot to show you was my key.. anyways my key does not have any electronic buttons on it. it has just a black head and a metal key, but it has a circular red dot on the head just where it connects to the metal part. Is this the place where the chip is inside the key? or do i not have a chip at all?

Also , what is the price for a top of the line security system ( such as compu star , etc ) in US dollars
key2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg key2.jpg (76.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by h3llfir3; 07-06-2009 at 02:05 PM.
h3llfir3 is offline   Reply With Quote