View Single Post
Old 10-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Help pick my new scan tool

I am also a DIY'er who likes to not have to rely on shops for much of my vehicle service. Years ago I had an OTC Genisys scan tool but did not appreciate that pretty much every option was expensive and updates cost more than some of their competitor's entire tools. When I bought a different vehicle that would require an update, I instead opted for an Autel DS708 scan tool. The DS708 was one of their early "professional" offerings and while it had some quirks, it was very powerful and included software for EVERY system and just about every make available world-wide, plus updates were free for 3 years (at the time). By the time my free updates expired, I was ready to upgrade again anyway. I had read good things about Launch but ultimately decided to go with another Autel (906BT) based on my prior positive experience, features, and cost.

The tools I've looked at were quite a bit higher than the $200 price range so I'm not sure how feature-rich Autel or Launch is at that price, or how competitive they may be with each other. But I can say I've been pleased with the Autel tools I've used (also including a TPMS programming tool). So if you find an Autel and a Launch that seem to be comparable to one another but the Autel is much less expensive, I would not hesitate to go with the Autel. But do pay attention to the updates. With my scan tool updates are free for 1 year, but then there's an associate cost for subsequent updates. But with the TPMS tool lifetime updates are included at no additional cost. So maybe updates are included with their lower-priced units?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
WOODY367 (10-25-2022)