View Single Post
Old 11-13-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
HomeThtrLA
AF Newbie

Dual Fuel Tank Weirdness

I bought a 1988 Club Wagon in January of 2003. It has two fuel tanks and a switch, that looks like it is factory-installed, for going from one tank to the other.

The weird thing is, the second time I filled up and kept track of miles to figure out what the mpg was, I never switched to the second tank; after going LOTS of miles, I finally switched and the other tank was almost empty. It was as though both tanks were supplying fuel the whole time.

It never happened again. For almost two years, I have had to switch from tank to tank, as I figure I would have to.

Then about a month ago, it stalled while using the front tank. I switched to the rear, and it kicked back into full force.

Since then I have found that it will eventually stall if using the front tank. So I only use the back one now. But this left me with about a half tank of gas in the front. I kept trying to use the front to empty it but the gauge hardly went down.

Then one day after I filled up the rear tank to be sure I had gas to switch to, I noticed that the front gauge had increased from about 3/8 to about 5/8.

huh?

Are these tanks interconnected? Do they both pump at the same time, regardless of the switch? Is the switch NOt switching and making both pumps work?

Anybody?
HomeThtrLA is offline   Reply With Quote