View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
wlfee69
AF Newbie

Re: 1992 S-10 2.8L V6 Idle Craziness

Hey, My problem was/is similar... Though my problem wasn't a stall issue, I am certain I know why yours may be dying/missing at startup...

I started by replacing the "throttle body gasket" which was leaking. This did help, but not a whole lot. Second, I took out the "iac" valve located on right side of throttle body (big round cylinder with grey plug)and sprayed the crap out of it with carb cleaner. I also cleaned the port that it fits into. This helped dramatically, but sadly, temporarily...

By now I am starting to get pissed. So, I pull out the pcv valve by snapping the CHEAP plastic line, replace it with "fuel" line, and replace valve. Still no results.

Then I happen to notice a module in between the coil and distributor.
It has little fins on it and 2 vacuum line goto it. on the firewall side there is a round cap on this module. Under cap a filter.

Popped it off and cleaned filter with dish liquid, and dried and replaced. Guess what??? Perfect IDLE!!!

If you are not sure to put this filter back on correctly, it will run like crap, miss, exaust will smell of fuel, and have poor accleration.

Try taking the filter off then start it. It should initially idle high then steadily drop to around 550 to 800 rpm (standard tranny idle is always a bit higher then automatic idle, so I am told.)

Hope this helps you...
wlfee69 is offline   Reply With Quote