View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Re: 97 Riviera - driver door window rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Since you have the panel off, just remove that water barrier, and either slam the door shut or just grab the window while in the down position and manually jiggle the window to see where the noise is coming from..... not sure if you have the metal guides with the felt lining on the inside of the guides....have seen them wear off over time and cause the noise.....could also be a bent/loose PW regulator.......also, if regulator was removed sometime during it's history, some techs used nuts/bolts instead of pop rivets, that came loose........also get in there with a flash light, and check for any loose debris in the bottom of the door....

I believe you have the SC'er.......do you get 30 mpg on a long trip?
Hey Tech II, that photo was taken about a year ago. The door is re-assembled now.

Yes the door has been apart.. in 2006 when it was vandalized. It was struck with a blunt force blow mid-panel above the door guard.. like being hit with the butt-end of a metal object. The body shop guys had to go inside the door, and really hacked it, damaging wires in the door that burned out parts in the dash board.

I think you're on to something with the metal guides or PW regulator.

The water barrier is the black plastic sheet?

I have the three-volume shop manuals which have instructions on how to dis-assemble the door from inside. Thing is.. no telling how long I'd have it apart, and if the vehicle would be tied up. Probably could drive it with the inner panel off.

Will post more photos of the CRACKS in the black plastic panel body.

Thanks for your input as usual!

-Ed
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote