Thread: sanding primer
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Re: sanding primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
Wow, take a step back there, guy. We're not actually bickering. If you reread my post, you may find that it has not a thing to do with either your post or with you. It simply says something different than what your post says.

But since you bring it up- the original poster did not ask "what is primer used for?" or "how is primer used in painting cars?". He asked IF primer could be screwed up when painting a model car by sanding it too much. I answered that. Strangely enough, you didn't.

I'd also like to point out that it simply does not matter how real cars are painted. Even if we're using real car paint, we're not painting 1:1 cars. We're not actually painting cars at all. We're painting plastic toys. This is a bit like using professional grade house paint to paint turtles. It does not matter how houses are painted- if you're going to paint a tortoise (even if you want to make him look like a house), you are going to use a different technique to paint him than you would use to paint an actual house.

I occasionally sand primer with ridiculous grades of abrasive- like 3200 micromesh. When I have, the results have turned out very well- well enough that it justified the effort to do that level of preparation to the primer. There are even applications in modeling where it would be highly advisable. For instance, if you wanted to build a chrome Ferrari-

-I would recommend that you aggressively polish that primer until you can (nearly) see yourself in it. Spray it with a couple of very light and heavily reduced coats of gloss black, and then lightly spray on Alclad chrome. If you don't polish the primer, it does not matter how much you polish the clearcoat over it- the texture in the primer will forever be clearly visible. In scale modeling if you want a perfect paint job, it helps tremendously to make it perfect from the base up.

MPWR - the reason why I took the time to explain PRIMER in the first place is because if you do not understand the reason for it - you do not understand what and how to use it. This leads to answering the question - rather than telling a person what YOU think is relevant - provide them with the information to make their own decisions. My only advice "telling the thread starter what to do" was that he should experiment on plastic spoons with his primer, sanding , painting, finishing techniques and determine from his material, equipment and experience what he should most likely choose to do. - some people on this forum have some serious ego problems - and the number of one's posts do not determine their expertise. Some people on the forum cannot resist from adding their 2 cents while others choose to contribute when it is relevant. - for those of you that strive to polish primer - go at it - I choose to let the paint system work the way it was designed - nuf said - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John18d For This Useful Post:
is250 (11-24-2011)