View Single Post
Old 11-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #60
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which of these subs would you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
9500's where built for sound reproduction...what are you talking about? my god.
"Sound reproduction" sure, every speaker is, that's the definition of a speaker....but the 9500 was not built with the ultimate goal of SQ in mind

Quote:
3.5cubes on a singular 15 displacing htat much air? and you are talking to me about SQ? i geuss so if you like the sound of a very windy port. a ported box only peaks at around the tuneing frequincy, this peak can be easily off set for SQ by low tuning and proper port size for proper port velocity. along time ago Halibane showed me what playing around in WinISD will do for you...maybe you should do the same.
Port noise has to do with the crossectional area of the port, not the box size. And it was me who showed you the WinISD plots, and I'll let GSteg defend himself against your "suggestions", I don't think you know who you're talking to.

Quote:
75mm is what it takes to bottom out the suspension. which can be done with out, as sr20 stated, thermaling the coils. DD also markets agianst Xmax since, as is true, xmax doesnt state how well a motor can stop a coil and then turn it a round in the other direction. if 10mm out of your excursion is the morot trying to slow and pull the cone in the other dirtection bass gets slopy and isnt as loud.
I said you can only get the sub to move that far if you feed it an absurd amount of power for a burp, if you hold it out for any more than a couple seconds you will melt down the coil. And I don't think you even know how a speaker works based on your second statement. Xmag is how far the cone can move before your BL drops to 70% of its rest value, Xsus is the point where the compliance of the suspension drops to 25% of its rest value, and Xmax is the lesser of the two. Xmech is how far the cone can physically move before you hit something hard, it will be past the Xmag and the Xsus, which means that at this point neither the motor nor the suspension is moving linearly anymore, and you have quite a bit of distortion in the sound. But with SPL, distortion doesn't matter, just as long as the speaker doesn't self-destruct. You're right the Xmax doesn't state "how well a motor can stop a coil and then turn it a round in the other direction", because that doesn't even apply really. The motor doesn't have to work to stop the coil, there is enough restoring force in the suspension to stop the cone almost immediately if you cut the power going to the motor, so everything you just said is a non-issue.

Quote:
9500 uses a standard coil...however the magnet set up uses extra long magentic feilds. though it isnt as good as XBL it is still the highest of highs. im not and never did bash the XXX nor the Brahma. im jsut tired of everyone saying "oh yes they have XBL^2, they are the greatest in the world for SQ and SQL."
Again, I don't think you have any idea about the inner workings of the magnetic field, flux, BL, etc. If you did then you'd realize that your statement has nothing to do with what GSteg said.

Quote:
the XXX wasnt made to shoot out SQ either. because if they did they wouldnt be paying adire for XBL^2. they would most likely be paying JL for DMA technoligy since, after all, when looking for SQ XBL delivers almsot no THD but DMA does also. the XXX is a widely used SPL woofer and so is the Brahma and so is the 9100, 9500, and 9900 (which are so expensive because DD only makes a limited ammount).
Actually it was made for SQ
And again you still don't know what XBL^2 or DMA are, they're Adire's and JL's answers to flat-BL. Both accomplish the exact same thing, just through different methods. Don't really know what that THD comment is about, BL non-linearities are a form of distortion, one of the main forms, so by reducing them you reduce the distortion, which reduces the THD. Both XBL^2 and DMA do this.....

Quote:
and DD3500's will liekly put W6v2's away SPL v SPL...about equal in the SQL department.
You honestly think the 3500's can compete with the w6v2s in SQ? The w6v2 is one of the best SQ drivers ever made, and you even said yourself "3500's are good for daily drivers, if you where looking for SQ i would have reccomended the 9100 or 2500. but w/e". Make up your mind, because you keep contradicting yourself.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote