View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 02:07 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Rewinding a DC Starter Motor

I used to work at an electric motor repair shop, but I didn't do rewinds, only assisted on larger ones when needed. Some of my advice should be taken lightly at best.

1. I'm not 100% sure how (or if) different coatings affect the way the winding works.

2. You need to stay with the same thickness wire, as well as same amount of turns and same wiring hookup, unless you know the formulas for how each affects a motors performance.

3. If there are stacked windings (ie more than one winding per slot) you have to use an insulating paper between the windings. After the final winding is in you need to use an insulating "stick" to hold it all in place. After it is all in place, and your connections checked and verified you need to use an epoxy to seal it.

For larger armetures and stators we had a large dip tank with an epoxy that we would dip them into until they saturated then bake them in a large oven. For very small ones, especially ones that needed a quick turn around we would use a 2 part epoxy and pour it over the armeture.

Once it sets you'll need to sand the epoxy off each "rib" that separates each coil.

The whole process is tedious. For very small armetures we actually sent them out to another company, in Texas I think, because for the price they did them it didn't make any sense for us to do it ourself.