View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 04:30 PM   #45
quaddriver
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to quaddriver Send a message via MSN to quaddriver Send a message via Yahoo to quaddriver
Re: Re: Re: Pushrod vs. SOHC vs. DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymike1031
What recommendations are you guys referring to? I have a Honda service manual in front of me right now, for 1996-2000 Civics, all models, recommending timing belt replacement at 105,000 miles for severe service, excluding where outdoor temps are frequently in excess of 110degF or colder than -20degF, in which case they say 60,000 miles.
In other words, as I said, Honda recommends a 60K interval. At least you now admit that. Sidebar: what interval does ANY manufacturer recommend for a chain driven cam? Whats that? We could not hear you say the word 'None' clearly.

Score: xOHC motors have cam driving mechanisms that require inspection, service and replacement on a frequent basis over the life of the car. OHV motors have cam driving mechanisms that require nothing and last the life of motor. Advantage OHV as originally stated.

Quote:
I notice that you don't have any such findings to show us either. Not that I'd be impressed with NVH results measured by people working for a magazine - these people are english majors first, mechanics second, engineers "not at all," remember? NVH measurement is difficult to do right in a proper lab setting, let alone in some backyard dyno.
Well, managing editor of C&D Csaba Csere has an engineering degree which is more than you do, and he himself has conducted such tests AND he has an online presence - feel free to contact him and inform him how useless his findings are. Its not all that hard to measure the noise output from the engine bay at any RPM. Why, I even hear the measuring devices are simple enough be used by high school students such as yourself! Aint modern progress grand?

Quote:
If the GM 3800 is your "gold standard" of engine refinement,
Actually, its the SAE who has named the 3800 from GM 'best', criteria being a number of factors not limited to power output, economy, emissions, reliability, noise, smoothness, service ease, and so forth. Please note, in the last few years it has supplanted even the SBC. An astute reader will notice a certain 'on topic commonality' between the two motors.

Quote:
then I know what sort of person I'm speaking to,
Hmm, forgive but Im not all that confident that you are all that intuitive, or even all that bright...

Quote:
and that it's pointless to continue this discussion of automotive technology...
Especially when you are not contributing any....

Quote:
I leave it to you to pursue an education in automotive design;
You are so funny mikey....you want me to do what you have not...but suffice to say, I am satisfied with my college education and degrees earned. I think I'll stand pat...however, when you do graduate high school, I highly recommend a college education if you can swing it. Very beneficial.

Quote:
it's not my job or desire to educate you (nor am I confident that it would be possible).
Perhaps the most accurate thing you have said to date in all of your posts...we (the reading public) agree, it would not be possible for you to educate myself, or anyone else reading here for that matter.

btw - that fact that you do have a chilton book for your car is admirable, many people fly blind. But please tell us you didnt 'rice it out', take if from someone much older and more experienced: it does NOT look cool that way.