View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
draynoe
AF Newbie

Battery drain question - please help!

Hi there and thank you.

Car: 2002 Nissan Xterra XE 6 Cyl 3.3L

Original issue: Battery started draining overnight/after several hours after having it in the shop for other repairs such as radiator/water pump/intake manifold etc. It doesn't happen all the time, but I would say 90% of the time. They replaced the battery with a new one at the time.

Steps to resolve: Shop first said I had the wrong size battery and replaced it. Then, when that one died, they said it was the cables or connections going to the battery, so they put a temporary cap on the negative lead. Then, they just said "You probably need a new battery!" and left me out to dry. I replaced the connectors that meet the battery posts but the issue still persists. I also tried a completely different brand new battery and it was drained within a day or so.

Other information:

The problem is that most of the time my battery will be completely dead when I try to start my Xterra after it sits a while. I have to jump it with one of those jumper packs I bought almost every morning, and sometimes when I go out for lunch. Other times however, like this morning, it started right up. Most the time though, it is dead. I tried a new battery and the same thing happened. I had the alternator replaced a year ago. I'm fairly certain nothing is pulling a lot of power either when the car is off as this started after the shop and nothing has really changed since then.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
draynoe is offline   Reply With Quote