View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
blk95lumina
AF Regular

Re: 1995 Lumina - Strange Starting and Electrical Problems

Thank you Jeff!
I am just catching up on your post and will look at the wires again this weekend.

Is this the power cable you are referring to?
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,2501
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1J1211R

This past week I inspected and re-torqued the battery connections, inspected the power and ground wires from the battery to the starter, disconnected, wire-brushed, and reconnected the power and ground on the starter. Also disconnected, wire-brushed the terminals and chassis where the main battery ground is connected and a small ground for the headlights I think.

The car starts but still delays for 1-2sec. after turning the key.
I think you are onto something about a bad connection internally. I did not remove the protective cover and tape that binds the power and ground wires together as they are routed down to the starter, so no telling what the power wire looks like under there.

**The car has now started to lose all electrical power while running. Before I did the above steps, I started the car and went to go get the ramps and when I returned, the car suddenly died. I looked inside and it lost all electrical power while running.

This morning as I was driving to work, I felt the car suddenly lose engine power for just a very brief (1sec.) moment and then come back to life. When it did, the dash lights all flashed (air bag, ABS, Brake, Traction, etc.) as though I had just re-started the car. It was really odd but falls inline with the car losing all electrical power while running earlier this week.

I really need to fix the problem before I take it on a longer trip. Maybe I will just replace the entire power cable that runs from the battery to the starter. Funny thing is when I ordered a new starter, the website asked if I wanted a new power cable and I declined b/c the shipping was more than the $5 cable.

Thanks.
blk95lumina is offline   Reply With Quote