View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Fat_Bastard
AF Newbie

Grounding on Trailer Shorting Out Vehicle

I bought a fixer-up utility trailer a few months ago (dirt cheap, which is why I bought in instead of a ready-to-go one). The wiring needed to be redone, and additionally there was no license plate light. I have bought and installed a couple, but now when I try to ground them, they short out. I've even tried grounding only one at a time, but it just does the same time. It blows a fuse on my vehicle, disabling the tail lights. I bought a pack of replacement fuses so that I can still drive my car.

I have tried grounding the license plate light in three places on the trailer - by each of the rear tail lights, and in the very front of the trailer next to the main ground wire. They all blow the fuse, no matter where I attach the ground. Right now, the grounds for both of the license plate lights are unattached.

Everything else on the trailer works without any issues.

If it's worth mentioning, my vehicle has independent turn signals and tail lights, whereas the trailer uses the same bulb for both. I bought a converter kit for the vehicle though, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Attached Images
File Type: png trailer_wiring_diagram.png (16.6 KB, 0 views)