Thread: New Cobalt wins
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Just a few miles down the road from the factory that builds the Chevrolet Cobalt and with several Cobalt builders in attendance, Andy Lally and co-driver Jamie Holtom co-drove the No. 00 Georgian Bay Motorsports Cobalt to a popular Sport Touring (ST) class victory in the Grand-Am Cup 200 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

Lally kept the pressure on leader Don Salama in the No. 95 Turner Motorsport 330i throughout the closing minutes and pounced on the opportunity to take the lead when Salama made contact with the lapped No. 20 Nuzzo Motorsports Mini Cooper of Tony Nuzzo with fewer than four laps remaining to secure the victory.

"It was all about managing traffic," Lally said. "Don (Salama) got blocked by a slower car and I was able to slip by and get that win. It was great to be able to do that in full view of the 600 plus UAW partners here from the Lordstown, Ohio plant where the Cobalt SS Supercharged are made."

Holtom, who qualified the car sixth in the ST class, avoided trouble early before handing control to Lally during a full-course caution at approximately the halfway point of the race. Holtom gave credit to the car for keeping him out of trouble during his stint.

"The torque of the Cobalt engine helped me out of a tight hole when a slower car spun coming out of the esses (early in the race)," Holtom said. "The brakes were good, too."

The win was the second of the season for each of the Georgian Bay Motorsports drivers. Holtom won the Mosport 200 in June with his father, Jim, and Lally won with the elder Holtom in Round 4 at Watkins Glen International.

- grandamerican.com

Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote