View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #10
360spider
AF Moderator

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Honda CR-X 1.5i Ballade Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
What a cool little Honda! Awesome build, it looks fantastic. Fun to see these Tamiya classics built up.

I don't know that I've ever heard of boiling water being successfully used to correct a bent body. (I've certainly heard people suggesting it, but but you're the first builder I'm aware of that has said, yes I did it and it worked.) How did you go about it? Boil a pot of water on the stove, then dip the body in? How difficult did you find it? How soft did the plastic get? I have Tamiya's old Audi Quattro kit with a badly bent body. I'm not very hopeful that I could get another through Tamiya parts replacement. Suddenly you have me curious if it could be corrected, or at least improved.

The plaid seats are a great touch. Where did you find the decal?

In essense - yes, I boil some water in the kettle, pick a bowl that is a good size, pour some hot water there, dip the boy in it for maybe 5-10 seconds, then pull it out and bend the piece I need fixed back into shape and hold it until plastic cools (5 seconds or so). Then check, repeat. It might take a few dips, keep the water hot. Eventually plastic will take its shape.

Thanks! Got decal off eBay, apparently this is a decal for doing nail designs.

Posted some final pictures in Completed section for this one:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1155747