View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 07:45 AM   #46
Km-t
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Km-t
I'm all for wearing a helmet. I know it's no guarantee but its better than nothing. I'm all for the preventative measures because they can make a difference. Football player wear mouth guards even though they may not ever be struck in the head (or at least they should - but then I'm also a sports medic so I may be a little biased). I'm from New Zealand, and it is law hear to wear a seatbelt. It sort of come down to that old saying
"Why cut off your nose to spite your face?"

Ultimately though it is the riders choice, law or no law.
I'll respect your decision, and you don't have to care what I may think, (but privately I will still think you're a bit dumb)

However protective gear is no substitute for common sense. A friend of mine lost a very close family friend over her own 3 months ago to a motorcycle accident. They were riding in a group - full marks for that safety method.

She was riding pillion and was new the motorcycling experience so how she went out was not nice. Her boyfriend was the driver and should have know way better. As I said they were riding in a group. I'm guessing they were near the back as before he took his turn others in his group passed a truck (sorry don't know how long but must have been long enough). However when his turn came the truck had begun turning and as you all (should??) know, no matter what type of vehicle you are in/on you should never pass a turning truck (or other long vehicle). He Did. He died and killed her as well. Wasn't nice for the emergency services on the scene as she was mostly decapitated. Very little tissue kept her head connected to her body. Most definitely not nice for the family member who had to formally identify her.

Moral of the story:
There is no substiture for common sense and defensive driving/riding!!

Happy Riding
Km-t is offline   Reply With Quote