View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
Renaissance_Man
New-ish Member

Re: My Key Is Stuck in the Ignition Switch

Thank you for your reply Tom.

Another member had already mentioned the 'trick' to removing the key and lock cylinder. In case you, or any other member is curious as to why the key must be in the run position to press the pin, it is because there is a cam of some sort the prevents the pin from being depressed otherwise - an anti-theft measure, I would venture to say.

I was pretty lucky. I pulled the key and lock cylinder out of the column of my Windstar using the trick that you and Apollo (a.k.a., 12pack) suggested. Once out of the column, it was easy to remove my key. I then sprayed the lock cylinder down with copious amounts of brake cleaner, and not having any graphite spray or liquid lubricant on hand, I opted to use a silicone based spay lubricant rather than good, ol' reliable WD-40 because I have found the lubricating properties of the silicone based lubes seem to last much longer than WD-40. Also, I used compressed air in a can to blow out the opening the lock cylinder fits in and I lubricated it also (though not as much as the lock cylinder itself). I then put the cylinder back in (this also requires the key to turn the cylinder to the run position). HOWEVER, THIS TIME when I rotated the key back to the off position, the key slipped right out! SCORE!!

I haven't posted this information until now, because I didn't want to tempt Fate and cause the issue to repeat, but so far, so good. I think its time to stick a fork in this turkey and call it done!

Thanks again Tom for your excellent advice. And thank you too, Apollo, god of the Windstar, for getting me started down the right path to solve this problem, and for helping me to remember not to take sh*t like this too seriously.

Until the next crisis, er time.

Frank
Renaissance_Man is offline   Reply With Quote