View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #3
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Is This Tire Pressure Chart Legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg2112 View Post
I can't believe that they would want you to run with the higher pressures listed in the chart during colder weather. Yes as it gets colder your pressure drops in your tires. That is why you add more air to compensate and bring the pressure back up to the correct amount but not the higher pressure listed in the chart. Wouldn't the manufacture list this information on the placard as well if it was correct? I think maybe the chart has a baseline of 70 degrees and if you were to fill a tire to say 32 lbs at 70 degrees it would lose roughly a pound for every 10 degree drop in temperature. Now if at 70 degrees you over filled the tire to 39 lbs and then lowered the temperature to 0 degrees it would be at 32 lbs. That is how I interpret it anyway.

Thanks for replying!

The site in which this chart resides claims that air is "less dense" at lower temperatures. Thus, they contend, that 32psi at, IE 20°F is not the same as 32psi at higher(Summer) temperatures.

The way I interpret it is that if your tires indicate 32psi at 70°F, that one should add 1psi for ever ten degrees F drop in ambient temperature, then maintain the same pressure for ambient temperatures 0°F and below. So at 60°F inflate your tires to indicate 33psi, 40°F: 35psi, etc.

Since my car rides rough even at factory 33psi, I could not imagine running any more than 1-2psi over that - at any time of the year!
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote