View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 12:02 AM   #4
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: 98 Monte ABS, HVAC, Air filter

Next Up:

Car wouldn't crank one afternoon. Slapped a new battery in it, Dear Old Dad replaced the battery last in 2010, according to the date sticker on the Die Hard Gold battery I removed.

I'm not sure the thing is worth adding water to and re-charging. I have no faith in a nine-year-old conventional wet-cell battery, especially with one very low cell. $160 to NAPA for a replacement battery.

While I'm dicking with the electrical system, I connect a scan tool just for giggles. My O2 sensor cross-counts are in the single-digits--"0" to "7" mostly. Well, yeah, I guess that makes sense since I'm sure the O2 sensor is original, ancient, and lazy. The thing is old enough to buy liquor. Mind you, the car has less than 35,000 miles on it.

I'm not looking forward to ripping that sensor out. I just pulled four O2 sensors out of my '97 K2500, and three of them needed an oxy-acetylene torch to get them to turn. All of them damaged the threads in the pipe they screwed into, so I had to clean up the threads before I could put the new sensors in. It'll maybe be harder on the Monte, due to the sensor being tucked up higher and closer to the engine. There'll be very little room to get the torch in there.

Wish me luck.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote