Thread: Civics Kick Ass
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2002, 10:02 AM   #119
mastachi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mastachi
I dont know about that. I used to detail cars all the time an I always found that when you were doing the interior of a New or Old Cadillac, it always seems like something was fallin off or some electronic motor was stuck. Like maybe the steering wheel wouldnt go back into place after you shut the door or the memory seats couldnt remember the way they were supposed to go. I never had that much respect for the insides of Cadillacs. Now, i f you look inside of a Mercedes, its a whole different story. Even when driving the car, everything feels so incredibly solid, same with the majority of European Cars. From VW's to Opels, to Mercs to European Fords, you'll mostly find superior construcion. This is from my experience of living in Germany. Im also an American, an being with the military an having your own detailing business, you have the experience of driving both types of cars. You'll find cars like a 99 Caddy STS, an then a 89 Mercedes 190 E, an you ll notice that the mercedes is in almost perfect condition, while there would still be problems with the Caddy. I think it has to do with the German Work ethic. If you ever live there, youll totally understand what I'm saying. If you ever take a tour of the Mercedes_Benz Plant in Sindelfingen, Germany, you would be totally amazed. It would blow your mind, guaranteed. I think its the fact that the Workers at M-B are required to sign paperwork that says there responible for the quality of there work for 20 years. I dont know how they enforce it, something about doc'ing them pay. As for power, take an E 55 Amg or an Audi A4 2.3 TT (faster than the S4) to an STS..there easily comparable. (I love the Northstar V8) My experience with Japanese cars is limited in that I broke a 1990 Toyota Camry once. But what Im trying to say is that there is a noticeable difference in quality between American and European cars, maybe even saying imports. Then if you say, "what about the price?" Given, a Caddy in the states is gonna run cheaper than any European competitior..if you look at prices of a BMW or a Mercedes in Germany, they are way cheaper than Caddy's are in the states. They have all kinds of ways for the average german worker can afford a BMW, Audi, VW, or Merc. Things like ten year financing plans, an just not being as expensive as people believe they are. I think another testament to the quality of European construction, is that every taxi in germany is either a Mercedes or a BMW, even the buses are made by Mercedes. You dont find Caddillac Taxi's. Even the US Government would rather protect there generals in a BMW 750il then a Caddillac because they handle better an are stronger structurally. I once talked to one of the driver's. anyway..sorry about that babbling, thats what I believe.
what do you when a blonde throws a pin at you? ... run like hell 'cause she has a grenade in her mouth...what do you do when a blonde throws a grenade at you? ... pull the pin out and throw it back at her...