View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
AniNassui
AF Newbie

Question Bad Head gasket vs. Intake gasket?!?

Need some advice RE: head gasket vs. intake gasket /

I was just curious what the main difference is between these two?!?
(Without getting too technical)
...I mean is one ultimately worse than the other? — Is the difference negligible because the end result could be the same??

In this real-life scenario, which would you say is more likely the cause:

2000 Buick Century fairly well cared for, maintained, etc. Has no ostensible issues, drives fine, no over-heating, etc. New battery, tires, etc.
Then, one day, on fwy at 75-80mph, kinda begins surging and then, accelerator peddle has no effect, combined with over-heating, steam, and white smoke (not from tailpipe, but from under hood). Coast off fwy and pull over. After car is allowed to cool, water added, and starts up and drives a few miles home.
Mechanic sees that oil has been compromised and is a coffee colored meringue, and dismisses the thing as a blown head gasket — basically a death nail, with the cost far outweighing the value of the car.

Which “leak” does this sound like to you? Also, am I wasting my time thinking about this? ...rather, is it a futile exercise to be even asking this question because it doesn’t matter how the oil/ coolant got mixed, the fact is they’re mixed and that’s that?? — at this point does it really matter which leak was present??

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
— Thank you in advance!!
AniNassui is offline   Reply With Quote