View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #42
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Re: Whats the point of Front Wheel drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereth
A lot of people who think they are 'tuning' their suspension end up making things a lot worse. If you know how swaybars work you will know that what I said about them is true.

Drive traction is an issue any time you can spin the wheels. If you are a professional racer, or someone racing a higher end car, it matters a lot of the time. If you are someone racing a small, FWD economy car, or any car without much grunt, not so much.
A lot of people think that lowering the car as far as possible will make it handle better but they end up going below the roll center and screwing up their camber and throwing the suspension geometry all off. Then they just add thick sway bars front and back with subframe connectors and strut tower bars not taking in to how the car handles at the limit. They also tend to buy dampers that aren't dampened properly for the springs and don't even pay attention to spring rates. Some people just heat their stock springs or cut progressive springs. Truth be told, most people should even try modding anything on their cars. SCC has a few good articles explaining how to do your suspension right. I thought they were very good.

Also, I do agree with you about limits to FWD. You really don't want to go much past 350 hp or you're asking for potentially asking for traction issues, shearing axles, and blowing up CV joints.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote