View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #37
Nereth
AF Newbie

Re: Whats the point of Front Wheel drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBacon
If you're claiming that sway bars are a bad thing, then you'd have some serious arguments with anyone who designs or tunes suspension. The drive traction you are soo concerned about is only an issue in two situations. One is traffic light racing, the other is the 1/4 mile drags. In all forms of racing other than stupid straight lines it is not an issue.
A lot of people who think they are 'tuning' their suspension end up making things a lot worse. If you know how swaybars work you will know that what I said about them is true.

Drive traction is an issue any time you can spin the wheels. If you are a professional racer, or someone racing a higher end car, it matters a lot of the time. If you are someone racing a small, FWD economy car, or any car without much grunt, not so much.

Quote:
You should have mentioned that earlier.
See the problem with your theory is that it hasn't been tested. The outlier at this stage is your lack of knowledge about the very vehicles you're discussing.
Hahaha, jesus, these are not my theories. Why don't you mosey on down to eng-tips and tell all the automotive engineers they haven't tested their theories enough. Then tell them you know this, because a mazda 3 can outbrake an RX-8 in the wet!

Quote:
How about instead of throwing around numbers you picked out of thin air, actually delivering real numbers.
Like the stopping distance of a mazda 3 (fwd) vs an RX8 (rwd).

Oh look at that, the mazda 3 stops better in the wet.
http://www.rx8.co.nz/Reviews/pr_brake_2904.aspx

Take a look here and you'll see many fwd cars pulling up faster than the rx8 too.
http://www.movit.de/rahmen/stoptbl.htm
I have already explained this in my first two posts in my last reply to moppie. You should also read the exerpt from the book given up there.
Nereth is offline   Reply With Quote