View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: SBC tempature sporadic??? help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer6691 View Post
mmmm. that would make sense because i dont have a recovery tank and the temp attaches to the top of the intake manifold.
i have a cross flow radiator. are those supposed to have a over flow tank?
if i install an over flow and fill the radiator completely when cold, will the air pockets be filled?
it seems someone told me to keep adding coolant until the radiator starts to get warm in order to accomplish this
thanks for your help
Cross flow rads can be used with an airspace at the top for expansion. (My '79 Mustang had such a system).

But the top or the radiator must be at least 3-4 inches higher than the top of the intake manifold. This will allow the engine to purge all it's air into the radiator, over time.

If the rad is a bit too low, you can make your cooling system a 'closed' type so long as you are using a modern radiator, and not the original 1954 rad style.

Just make sure the radiator's cap has both an inner and outer gasket and has a spring-loaded drop valve.
Then you run the overflow hose into a recovery tank. Keep the tank 1/3 full and make sure the hose is immersed in it. Over time, the system will purge itself of air and fill completely.

If the top of the radiator is lower than the top of the engine, make it a closed system and bleed the air from the engine as you fill the radiator completely. Imo, the best way to do this is to drill a tiny hole in the flange of the T-stat. This will not affect warm-up, but will allow air to escape as you fill the rad. Squeeze the upper rad hose as you slowly fill the rad to purge all the air.

Also, check that T-stat's orientation, just in case.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote