View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Teddie
AF Newbie

Re: How important is a great sounding car?

I grew up with several Classic Saab 900s which have numerous pleasurable noises from the starters, door latches (when you pop the door open), and the sound the door makes when you close it. Some of them even had noises associated with Turbo lag and all but one had a manual transmission. The quietest vehicle my family has that I often ride or drive is an 05 Sedona and I sometimes find myself wondering why I cannot here the engine, but it is noisier at highway speeds which can get tiresome. Sometimes I even try to start the engine after I have already turned it on. Consumer Reports gives current Hondas bad remarks for their higher amount of road noise than other car makers, but I like hearing the engine and other noises since I do not like driving or riding in a coffin unless I can afford a Rolls Royce.

On a side note I had two vehicles (an 87 Caprice Estate and a 95 Voyager) which were not in the best shape and they would sometimes stall so sometimes when I cannot here the engine of a vehicle I worry that is might have stalled on me. Just a trained response that is hard to get rid of, like a dog drooling when it hears a dinner bell.
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote